Monday, July 20, 2009

Guns of toast.




Recently, I told my mother that it seemed cliche for parents to talk about how their boys and little ones -- even when they'd not been exposed to guns on television, books or in their home environments -- would chew a piece of toast into a weapon of destruction.

The next morning, my own child chewed his slice of banana bread into a gun.


Unlike me, who grew up with a father and grandparents who kept guns for hunting, sport and even self protection, my own son lives in a home with no weapons. I'm a peace activist.

And yet, as above, his Kindermusik kazoot instrument is still as likely to a be a gun as it is the leader in the band.....

2 comments:

  1. Melanee8:41 PM

    Have you ever read "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge? (Had an opportunity to work on it in the editorial stages.) As a mama to a boy (even as a wife to a husband!), you should read it. You may not agree with everything in it, but there is a lot of food for thought there (particularly for this girl who grew up with only a sister!). I need to reread it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have guns of pieces of paper, feathers, fingers, sticks, and any other "found objects" much to my lecturing and chagrin. Teach Peace then watch.

    ReplyDelete