Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Aftershocks.

I have a new mobile phone.

When my father calls me, my mother's photo and phone number show up, as my Facebook contacts are synced with my phone.

The first time it happened was startling, like hopeful as if there'd been some mistake....
dawning realization.


Yes, I could change that.

But what then? One can not effectively cleanse oneself of memory. Of longing. Of the truth.

This is the picture I see when my father calls me.


It was taken when she lost all her hair from the radiation in 2011.

Today would have been Mother's 74th birthday.

I do not want to forget.


Happy birthday, Mother. Wherever you are. Happy birthday. I love you. You mattered.

You will be remembered.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:13 AM

    Although they might have come out of a place of pain, I have absolutely loved your recent posts, Paige. I hope they bring you a little cathartic calm. xo

    ReplyDelete